Background of the Radio:
Himilo radio is an independent, non-profit and community based media organization established by a group of prominent scholars in December 2014 for the aim of broadcasting developmental programs and to fill the gap left by the years of civil war which destroyed all channels and radio stations.
Himilo radio achieves excellence in carrying out its fundamental purpose, maintaining its strategic distinctiveness and living up to its values and beliefs.
A cooperative society rooted in social justice values where media operate in the interests of people and where creativity flourishes. Radio Himilo contributes to a prosperous and stable Somali community by ensuring to target audience has an access to reliable information as to create active, open and creative community.
To provide a trusted source of information and entertainment as we serve strengthening the civic and cultural of the communities.
To produce creative and engaging programs for communities whose voices are underrepresented in the media.
To contribute to positive social change by providing the various communities that it serves with access to knowledge to uplift them and advance their community’s cultural, social, and economic development.
To contribute reconciliation and peace building in Somalia.
- Servant attitude
- To enhance community dialogue and involvement, through facilitating the sharing of information, ideas, and artistic expression.
- To provide the community with a responsible, independent and practical forum on important local, national and global issues, especially reflecting the values of peace, social, economic and environmental justice, human rights, democracy, multiculturalism, and freedom of expression.
- To disseminate updated information, news and development programs to the community.
- To empower society and to enhance social progress.
- To encourage and develop public affairs, education, justice, culture and entertainment.
Radio Himilo broadcasts programs such as:
- Daily based neutral news at 18 hours.
- Education programs in various levels.
- Health Programs.
- Child Programs.
- Youth Programs/awareness on general well-being.
- Religious Programs.
- Role of women on social, political and economical development
- Peace and human rights.
- Somali Literature that include: Poetry, songs, comics and other forms of arts.